Thursday, February 25, 2016

Nearly sick of Aurora

I'm never amused when I'm picking seams...



 Saturday was a rough day. The neckline didn't lay quite as I had envisioned, and so there was an attempt to drop the neckline. What seemed like a quick hour project, turned into lots of seem ripping and too much time wasted. The lame wasn't very forgiving in the way it layed, and so it created a lot of puckering. I decided to keep the neckline as it was, and will hopefully go back at a later time and work on it.
Gathering the skirt was a tangled mess. 


Though there isn't yet a zipper, the dress just didn't appear as form fitted as I had anticipated. I felt like a gold blob. 

Unfortunately I don't have any pictures after Monday night. 
But on Tuesday, Sister Dooley and I were able to quickly construct some sleeves, I serged the lame lining as well as all the inside seams. To save on time, instead of whip stictching down the lining of bodice, I sewed it into the seam of the skirt gathering and then just finished all edges on the serger. 
It was amazing to me how many short cuts manifest when time is running out. Though I wasn't able to complete the dress, it was able to be worn for the fashion show. Success?

To still be completed: Hemming the entire dress.
Taking the bodice in a few inches.
Sewing in a zipper.
Dropping the neckline.

I'm super grateful to have worked on a project like this. I've learned so much about different materials, and now recognize that it isn't practical to begin sewing a gown with only a few days left until show time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment