Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Costume Critique: One Day

One Day happens to be one of my favorite books, and I felt the movie portrayed the story well and did the book justice. To be honest, the costumes aren't anything out of the ordinary, nor was the film nominated for any awards. However, I loved how the designer Odile Dicks was able to capture 20 years of fashion to follow and highlight character development. The story is of two individuals, Emma and Dexter who meet the night of their University graduation and then one day each year we are given a glimpse into where life has taken them.
When we first meet Emma, her wardrobe is rather drab and outdated-but it certainly suits her character. She is very feminist and aspires to write a novel, but life quickly takes a turn and she finds herself uninspired and working at a crappy Mexican restaurant. In each period we see Anne Hathaway, I really felt that her costumes illustrated her station in life, be it finally becoming a novelist, a teacher, a lover, and I appreciated that I could relate to a lot of her transformations. From different designs, silhouettes, materials, long hair, short hair, glasses, her wardrobe remained real and true to life. I found it interesting that when it came to costumes, Anne Hathway's were really the focus of tranformation. Her costar, Jim Sturgess, however, had less of a focus on wardrobe and more on using his personality and life decisions to illustrate his self destructive nature. Coming from a wealthy background, his wardrobe is either suit and tie, or the latest fashion trend. 
I think of all costumes constructionally, my favorite would be the purple cocktail dress Emma wore. I loved how Odile incorporated the sheer sleeves with a very 1920's fringe along the hem of the dress. While being very simple with subtle detail, the dress is beautiful and I myself would love to wear it. 





No comments:

Post a Comment