Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Lab: Where all the magic happens!

I loved lab this week!
I took on the assignment of making the matchmaker's simple elastic waist skirt. And though the project is not yet finished, I am loving the process. It's certainly not the first skirt I've ever made, but there was something so special about taking someone's measurements, understanding how to apply them in the construction of their clothing, and then creating it! Typically when I make clothing, I take a shirt or skirt that I know fits me and then using it as an outline, trace the generalized structure onto the fabric and begin to attempt replicating the piece. However this time, I was able to take measurements and make something exact and precise to the person who will wear it.
I was so grateful to be in lab with both Carly and Kierrah because we were able to bounce ideas off one another and use each of our own experience and ideas to learn and find success. I have probably been told thousands of times that in sewing you always measure twice, and cut once. And it was such a huge blessing to have Carly and Kierrah there as a checks and balances to ensure little error.
So far the pattern has been cut, the sides sewn together and the edges finished with a zig zag stitch. My next plan to is to create a casing along the top to run the elastic, and then from there have the matchmaker come in for a fitting and measure where the skirt falls and how much needs to be hemmed.
I totally forgot to take a picture, but I will certainly take several this week to catalog the process and final outcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment